Wednesday, May 14, 2008

driving while pregnant...

I used to be horrified at the thought of a pregnant woman driving a car... Until I realized that I am that pregnant woman. It's almost comical, the faces on the drivers waiting in the driver's lounge in the malls when they see me come out from the driver's side of the car and that there's no one with me.  Also the face of the security guard in polo where i bring the kids for their soccer 3 times a week. It's like they're waiting for someone else to get out of the car and then when they realize it's just me (hugely pregnant me) coming down from the car, they're shocked!

It's not something that i plan to be doing (driving that is) until i give birth.  It's just that i have no driver, so it's a necessity for me to drive.  There are days when I get so tired just from driving around that I'm crazy sungit... and it doesn't help when people with the best intentions get on my back about how i shouldn't drive.  So... if you know of a driver that's looking for work, please contact me   I've been looking for one, but am not having any luck with it.

I enjoy driving! Honestly, I find it easier to anticipate the bumps on the road because I'm in control of the car.  This way, i don't get surprised and my tummy doesn't get jostled painfully.  I'm already braced for the impact of the pothole on the car... Don't get me wrong.  I don't drive very fast... My average is about 40kph!  haha  And even if I'm late, doesn't mean that i push the limit... my max speed is 80. 

I always think of a friend of mine who i had dinner with a few months ago - she was 7 or 8 months pregnant and i was horrified to find out she was driving herself home from greenbelt!  of course, she lives in sanlo, but still! just the thought that she was driving (alone!) to her place made me feel iffy... She just said that her in-laws, who live abroad, all drove themselves everywhere - even when they were pregnant.  In fact, some of them even drove themselves to the hospital to give birth!  So, if she can't drive herself home from greenbelt, kakahiya naman, diba?!  I kinda understood it then, but now i understand it perfectly.  I guess this is one situation where you have to be in it to fully understand

8 comments:

  1. haha..if you could do well driving while preggy, why not? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nans, I've been your passenger while you were pregnant, and not pregnant. I have to say that your driving abilities have not changed. Youare still an excellent driver. Of course, I still worry about you being bumped by the crazy drivers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nanny, so trippy to read stories like this. It's situations like these that are still so foreign to me but after some reflection, they're so part of ordinary life. I really hope you don't drive yourself to the hospital to give birth... it might soil the seats :D But until then, keep on driving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha thanks, marco! i definitely won't drive myself to the hospital! =) i'm very limited in where i can drive... tabby only allows me to drive within makati, so it's not so far... if he didn't have work, he'd be driving me around! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw... thanks, nik! =) that's why i'm a very, very careful! and drive defensively! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i also get worried when i see preggy mommies driving. but you're right, it is quite normal to be driving while preggy (assuming the pregnancy is going fine, mom & baby are in good health) and i guess short distance driving can do you some good in a way since you don't get couped up in the hse the whole day. Us, moms need a change on environment every so often if we want to keep our sanity in tact! :)

    but stay cautious and don't forget to bring a water bottle for hydration!
    i have a few numbers of drivers looking for work. Will text you!

    ReplyDelete