Sunday, May 4, 2008

annoyance...

Once again, mikho annoys me.  I use the present tense because I'm annoyed until now.  Last night, i had some friends over - nothing fancy, just marge, anton and jay (tabby's friend from college who he hasn't seen in a while).  Tab grilled some pork tenderloin and beef short ribs.  It was really yummy.  Being the polite older sister that i am, i invite my younger brother.  The only thing i asked him to do was change into something more presentable than the ratty, hole-y t-shirt he was wearing with his jogging pants.  He said yes, so I was happy na.  He changed, then by the time everyone had arrived, he had changed back into his pambahay shirt.  Why?  So he could be "comfortable".  Ridiculous.

After dinner, we sat outside so they could smoke and have a few drinks.  Jay brought some Johhny Walker. Around the round table, it was me, marge on my left, jay beside her, tabby across me, anton beside him and then mikho on my right.  Since I'm very obviously pregnant, no one was smoking beside me.  I was upwind since the fan was behind me on my right (basically, right behind mikho). 
 
Jay doesn't drink much, a capful of Johhny in a whole glass of Coke is his choice of drink. Anton and Tab drink it on the rocks - taking things slow.  Mikho, on the other hand, makes his drinks like this:  2 inches of Johnny, a bottle of Red Bull and a splash of Coke. Then some ice.  It's not his party. Nor are any of these people his peers.  He drinks 1/4 of the bottle by himself.  Not to mention, since he's in his pambahay, he's in his slippers.  So he's making dekwatro and holding his feet with his hands while listening and talking to people, then will use those same hands to get more ice for his drink. GROSS!

I reminded him, very discreetly - tapping his leg (well away from his foot) and murmuring "use the ice tongs, mik"  And he used it naman.  But the thought that he was so freaking clueless annoys me.

He forgets that I'm pregnant (probably because he was getting hit na) and lights up beside me, but then with a reminder goes naman beside Tabby to smoke downwind.

Later on, he hears me telling the others that the name of my baby is Joaquim Uriel.  And he says "Kim's a girl's name. I'll cal him Wacky."  When i tell him, "No, please call him Kim. That's his nickname."  He gets this expression on his face that says that I'm being unreasonable.  HELLO?!?!?!  And insists and states very definitely that he "will call him Wacky".  I had had enough.  I told him, "If you can't call him Kim, call him Joaquim.  Those are his names. Nothing else."  And he just shuts up, but with the eye-rolling and shrug that stated very clearly that he thought I was being unreasonable and annoying.

He disappeared when Mom got home, and I assumed he was talking to her and didn't come out na.  I find out tonight (I asked him what happened to him last night) that he "decided to read na lang in his room because it was boring outside."  He didn't even have the decency to say good night to everyone.  Including the person who brought the alcohol he was consuming.  ARGH!

Then, I also find out tonight that, at one point, when he was smoking beside Tabby, he tells him: "Pare, hinay hinay lang.  Tama na the kids.  It's not like they're cheap, right?  Kids are expensive."  EXCUSE ME?!?!?!  What an ass!  He has NO right to talk to Tabby like that. NONE.  I'm so upset with him.  Who does he think he is?  Ang bastos niya. Tabby's response to his comment was: "God will provide, Mikho.  Anyway, all babies are blessings."  But he was/is also deeply upset by Mikho. 

I would never even think of speaking to my siblings like that!  It's so disrespectful.  Where did he grow up?  In the street?  In isolation?  When has it ever been ok to disrespect your elders?  Ugh. 

I have decided and am really making a HUGE effort to ignore him.  I will not ask him for anything, even if it means driving for myself and the kids.  I will be civil when he speaks to me, but will not engage nor encourage conversation. 

I thought that by treating him with respect, he would show the same respect due to me as his Dette, but apparently, I was wrong.  So now, it ends.  I am so hurt, upset and disappointed in him.


UPDATE:

I was inaccurate with regard to what exactly was said between Tabby and Mikho.  Mikho actually says: "You can't afford it naman."  and Tabby says that "Whatever God gives us, we take care of."  Doesn't it just get better and better?

I spoke to Mom about this and she's very upset by Mikho's "lack of breeding" (her words).  She apologized for his behavior and will talk to him.  She asked me "how could my son say something like that??"  And i told her that last night and the whole day today, i was thinking "how could my brother say something like that?"  and then i told her to please ask him and then tell me what he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment