Wednesday, November 26, 2008

supply and demand

i remember that i breastfed micael purely for 4 months and then had to supplement because my milk supply was dwindling.  with the twins, i lasted for 2 months of pure breastmilk before i had to supplement.  i know that breastmilk is all about supply and demand - for as long as your baby demands, your body should supply the milk... and i was trying to figure out why my milk supply ran low. 

joachim is almost 4 months.  at this point, he's sleeping for longer periods of time.  at least 3 hours. and this is adversely affecting my milk supply.  i'm taking natalac and motilium, lots of buko juice, squash soup and other soups... but i feel like my supply is, once again, dwindling.  i'm fighting it, but honestly, i think that this is one battle i'm going to lose.  i'm so sad... 

i can't naman pump in between feedings because it's an alanganin time interval.  it's happened where i pump just to keep up the supply and then he got hungry 30-45 minutes after that.  and it was hard because my milk didn't let down right away (because i had super emptied both sides!) and he was screaming... poor kimi... and only after a while did it let down.  after that, i've been hesitant about pumping in between feedings. i don't want to have him bitin again.

if you know of any suggestions to help me with my milk supply, please let me know!  like i said, i'm fighting the fact that i feel like my milk supply is going down...

12 comments:

  1. That's my problem too sis, my supply is getting lower, So I give formula to Hunter in the evening for his last feeding....he can suck up to 6 oz. But I'm thankful coz' I still have milk....What I do, I don't totally empty it kung alanganin ang oras and I eat lots of green veggies it's good daw for milk production not only malunggay, and carrots and legumes are good too.Avoid cabbage it will decrease your milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. buti na lang i don't like cabbage! hahaha =) he's still purely breastfed, but i'm just worried that he'll keep increasing his appetite and i won't keep up with the milk... sigh... i'm having lots of soup, water and liquids... i hope that it helps! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am having the same problem too.. :( during the weekdays he's purely breastfed... but during the weekends whenever we go out... he's 50% breastmilk and 50% goat's milk (recommended by my doctor because it is quite similar to nutrients of breastmilk compared to formula: http://www.crohns.net/Miva/education/aboutgoatsmilk.shtml). For the past few days, he's been complaining because of low milk supply. It's so frustrating because I don't want to stop breastfeeding him. :( Hay... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis , ive' been breastfeeding for 15 months already, but milk supply is still good, i drink powdered malunggay , hot water with honey, check this site http://malunggayherbtea.multiply.com/ this is where i buy my malunggay powder.
    Try mo din tulya soup, yun ang niluluto lagi sa akin ng mother inlaw ko eh and it really makes my milk supply abundant. I hope this helps =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. galeng you're still breastfeeding! =) at the moment, i'm taking natalac and motilium... joachim is still exclusively breastfed, so it seems to be working naman... =) i'm open to trying anything to maintain my milk supply, though, so i'll keep your suggestions in mind! thanks!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup still breastfeeding until now, balak ko til my son is 2 years old bago ako magstop magbreastfeed.. atsaka super convenient diba at matipid at ang daling makapayat even without exercise! =)

    Sis try mo yung malunggay powder na gagawin mong tsaa, mas okay yun at mas cheaper compared to natalac. natalac capsule eh kapiranggot lang yung isang capsule tapos 3x a day mo iinumin, yung malunggay powder pag ginawa mong tea eh 1 full teaspoon nun(equivalent of 3-4 natalac capsule) tapos 1 tbsp ng honey and hot water, masarap sya promise =) ginagawa ko 2x a day yung malunggay powder tea. ginagawa ko din pag ginagawan ko ng baby food ang baby ko, nagspisprinkle din ako ng malunggay powder sa baby food nya for added nutrients =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've placed my order na for the malunggay powder and their capsules (if i don't like the taste, i'll take their capsules na lang hehe) thanks so much for the advice!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. di sya mapait don't worry, you'll like it =) check mo in yung sa recipes nila kung pano gamitin yung malunggay powder =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. jvn food products sell PURE malunggay powder at P1.00 per gram , we also manufacture/sell malunggay chips , carrot chips , tahong chips and soon malunggay capsules. call or txt 0917 796 3048 , or email jtballester@yahoo.com , we are here in Kawit , Cavite. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello fellow mommies...it will be my first time to try motilium, i read nanny drilon's post that she takes both natalac and motilium at the same time...im just curious, was there any side effect? im pretty scared, although my pedia was the one who subscribed it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice and interesting post,I appreciate your hard work,keep uploading more, Thank you for sharing valuable information lactation supplement

    ReplyDelete