Wednesday, November 5, 2008

breastfeeding

breastfeeding has been a difficult and rewarding experience for me.  much easier now than with mica, gabe and rafa.  maybe because i'm older and know my mind... i am really sticking to my guns about it.  there are those tell me that i should give him water or that maybe my breast milk is not enough - he might be malnourished!  hello?!  have they seen my boy?  he's almost 8 kilos!  at 3 months!!   

funny din my yayas because they have all these pamahiins about breastfeeding!  i told you guys na about the feeding from the left breast first before the right because that's the ulam and the right is the water (or was is the other way around?)... but there's also the one about how i shouldn't feed joachim right away when i come home because i'm tired.  i should express some milk first - kahit konti lang - before feeding him para he doesn't get tired.  ok ba?!    hay naku!  I just sigh and tell them to give me my baby na so i can feed him.

they keep insisting that i should buy formula for him - "just in case" daw - kahit a small can lang. i keep telling them no.  not only is it against what i'm trying to do (which is to purely breastfeed), it'll be too tempting for them and they won't text me when he's hungry if i'm not home.

i'm really lucky that i have enough milk for him.  i've been taking the malungay pills (natalac), drinking buko juice, having squash soup and taking motilium (yes, the medicine for your tummy) to help increase my milk supply. 

micael (he's 5 years old now) is getting over a cold - lots of phlegm, coughing and slight fever for 2 days.  not fun.  the poor boy's paos and he's matamlay.  so i had the bright idea of giving him my breast milk to help boost his immune system.  this worked with joachim and so i told the yaya to mix it in with his regular strawberry-flavored milk.  of course, i didn't tell him   mostly because he'd refuse because the milk is for joachim. and, to be honest with you, i'm not sure what i'd do if i offered to feed him and he said yes!  (he's kinda big na, you know?!)  and guess what! he's much better. although he's still coughing, his eyes are clearer and he's more active! 

amazing talaga the way God made us!  i'm so grateful that i have milk now and that since i am producing antibodies, my other kids can benefit from it - not just joachim! makes me even more determined to keep on breastfeeding and storing as much as possible for when i have to go back to the office!  my mom's being really nice and told me that i can work from the house first because i'm still breastfeeding joachim... i'm so lucky that she's my boss and she has vested interest in him! haha

14 comments:

  1. Go Nanny! That is great and try not to listen when people tell you otherwise. That's the best thing for Joachim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nans, I'm so happy for Kim that he has such a caring and tough mommy! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, kakatawa naman mga pamahiin. I've never heard of them before, though. Buti na lang or else I'd be so annoyed by all the unsolicited "advice".

    Wow, 8 kilos at 3 months?! He's big!

    Good for you and for your babies. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. he is 8 kgs na sis?He is big at 3 months...I'm still breastfeeding too.Hunter is turning 5 months on Nov 8.So far meron pa naman ako milk but not as much as before so I am also taking Natalac and mix na milk ng baby ko.You've mentioned about the medicine to increase milk supply, is it OTC drug?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi jane! i like your articles/ entries in your blog. you're a good writer! =) my yayas are the funniest because now lang with the baby are their superstitions coming out! grabe! buti lang talaga i'm not the type to be easily swayed by others' comments. otherwise my baby will be drinking formula now...

    check out my pictures - joachim doesn't look like a 3 month old baby =) he's very... healthy ;-P haha not taba ha, just husky =) (although he does have a double chin...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi cathy! =) hunter's so cute!! the medicine i'm taking to increase my milk supply is Motilium (generic: domperidone). better if you ask your doctor first if you can take it. my ob prescribed it to me last week and although i was skeptical about taking it (the product insert said it's not recommended for lactating mothers), i researched on it on the web and doctors in australia, the us and europe really prescribe it to increase milk supply! the reason the insert says it's not recommended is because it's not what the made the medicine for. it's just a nice side benefit! =) i must say that i'm super impressed with it! here are the links that convinced me to take it: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/breastfeeding-problems-support/39179-lactation-tablets-motilium-domperidone.html
    http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/breastfeeding-domperidone-drnewman.htm
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidone.shtml

    after taking it, the let down reflex is amazing! usually (before motilium), the max number of my milk let down is 2. now, 4 or 5 is the norm! he doesn't detach from me still hungry... galeng talaga!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's why you're my idol!!! You're SUPERMOM!!! :) Miss you Nans!!! (Again... as if we live so far far away! hehehe) What are you doing tom? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. naks! thanks, martha! =) love you too! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nans!I just read the link and I was quite impressed with the explanation.I will try it later.God bless!=) your babies are very cute and handsome also! Joachim is heavier than Hunter.My baby is only 7.2 but he is long I guess.He is measuring 69 cm now and starting to have his milk teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your yayas superstitions are funny! Left for food and Right for water? hahaha :-) Keep going, Nanny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. there's more yata! i just refused to listen already. what i do na lang is to try and educate them about it - the one yaya of mine who isn't a mother yet is the one that's more willing to listen and learn the medical facts... siguro because she has no personal biases yet. haha the others just listen, but ask no questions about it - they remain unconvinced... oh well. at least i tried =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your very informative blog. I'm surprised to know that Motilium can increase milk supply. I'm using it but as medicine for dyspepsia. I'm not taking it now cause I'm afraid it might have side effects for my baby since I'm breastfeeding him exclusively for almost 3 months now. If i happen to take it last night (i had dyspepsia last night) I may have notice more milk coming out by now :) Keep posting. I'll be checking your blogs from now on. :) Godbless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi joy! it didn't register when i was with my ob that she was prescribing motilium for me so my milk supply would increase... i only realized it when i went to mercury na and the guy gave me the medicine! i asked for the product insert (literature) and it said: "Not recommended for lactating mothers." so i called my ob and she said that that's really what she prescribed. i took it home, but wasn't convinced, so i checked on the internet for info about it - typed in "breastfeeding motilium" in google and, lo and behold! it was true!! grabe! i was shocked!
    but it's worked like a charm! i'm amazed!! i'm still taking it and it's still working... =)

    ReplyDelete